Sunday, February 8, 2009

Solo







I flew from Delhi to Trivandrum - at the far southern tip of the country - on Monday morning. The state of Kerala is beautiful. From the plane I saw miles and miles of verdant countryside and coconut trees, coconut trees, coconut trees. I booked a taxi to Nagercoil. I wasn't supposed to do that; one was already arranged by the travel agent - which caused panic in those who wondered what happened to me when I didn't present myself to the driver. (And I wondered why some of you worried about me travelling on my own.) I made it to Nagercoil (about 85 km), where I toured Concordia Seminary there and met the sweet Rev. V. Robert Rajaskaran (and his wife Johnny), who corresponds with my mum and sis. Pastor Robert was my gracious host, and Rev. Dr. Patrick Monickaraj saved the day by accompanying me to the train station to make a special request for a duplicate train ticket for the one I'd lost (insert very red face here) - or never received (??)- no small task. On behalf of LPGM, I presented individually-painted portraits to the children of Concordia Girls Boarding Home and Lutheran Boys Boarding Home. These were painted, using photos, by students of Northfield High School. Attached to the back of each photo was a photo of the artist and a note from him/her. I am learning to ad lib speeches on the spot, by the way, and am becoming pretty good at it, if I do say so myself! The children were stunned and thrilled with such individualized and personal attention.







The next evening I met the girls of the Bethania Girls Boarding Home in Nagercoil, where Grace Subbiah has presided and served for many years. The girls gave me an elaborate lei and the usual outstanding song, dance and recitation programme. The work of Bethania Kids Foundation is shining like a bright star in this place.

Riding the rails...
On Thursday, I found my way to the correct train (stop laughing) and had a fascinating 6-hour train ride to Kodaikanal Road. I had "biryani to go" on the train. I managed to get an hour or two of sleep and chatted with a very nice fellow who spoke very good English. I have been the only white person in sight during much of the solo portion of this trip so far (not here in Kodai; there are many foreigners). That is a strange feeling. As is being watched by the waiters while eating. They seem to think I'm someone important. I actually have a little cottage here on the mountainside. My view is layers and layers of hills...the view my mother treasures. There is a Roman Catholic shrine-blessing of some sort going on, so the valley is echoing with loud singing and preaching.

New friends...
Bob and Betty Granner have been extraordinary hosts. Gethsy Jayapalan was my guide for some of the many Bethania centers here. My last "kids" thing was to teach 30 orphanage boys how to play American football. (Again, please stop laughing. Yes, I do know how to play. Sort of.) I also taught them to do "The Hustle." It will come as no surprise that I was much more comfortable with the latter. Some of the children in the orphanages lost their parents in the tsunami. They are so full of love and hope and are an inspiration beyond imagining. I will write more about that, and about the work of Bethania here, as soon as possible. My heart is full, for the children. My heart is aching, for Anna and her family. They are all in the hands of God.


No comments: