Wednesday, February 18, 2009

Going Dutch


Halfway home...

I guess I forgot how noisy and busy India is. I've spent the day in the Amsterdam airport and all I can think of is HOW QUIET IT IS! Why is everyone whispering? You would need to multiply the number of people here times three and increase the decibel level significantly to match the airport in Delhi, Mumbai or Chennai. The noise level and crush of people can be overwhelming, but you do get used to it, and you just have to accept the fact that there's a constant "festive" atmosphere. My favorite times were late evening. There were still a lot of people out on the streets, but they had eaten and the men were socializing around the shops and food stands, and things were winding down.

I'm so thankful that I made this trip, and that I'm coming home safe and sound. One thing I didn't tell anyone... The day I checked into the Madurai YMCA, there was deafening music playing on a loudspeaker outside. Turns out there was a political rally getting underway. The podium was right outside my window. A large intense-looking crowd began to gather, and just about the time I was to go out for a temple tour, a group came marching down the street waving placards. The only thing more unnerving that seeing a lot of police is seeing a lot of police in a foreign country. My driver and temple guide pushed me gently back to my room until the actual program had started, then I kind of slipped out quickly. It had something to do with Sri Lanka. Supposedly it was some kind of peace rally, but I'm not so sure. It was definitely political, and the speakers were certainly animated and loud. I made a point to stay out until the rally was over at 10:00 p.m. The other sort of unnerving thing was all of the police security at some of the better hotels. Otherwise, I felt completely safe and secure, even venturing out on my own.

Anyway, maybe I'll return to India someday. The people are so surprised and honored that you come to visit them. I'm very proud of the work that LPGM, Bethania Kids and my relatives have done to make India a more peaceful, prosperous and loving place, especially for children. Maybe you can have some small part in that, too.

See you Stateside, and watch for my photos.

Thanks for all your well-wishes and prayers,

Mark

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Dear Mark, WELCOME back to USA. Here in Faribault, we have a light snow covering the land around me with a quiet, soft white blanket - what a change for you! No flower garland but a lovely rural Minnesota greeting. God bless you. Love, Mom

Mark Spitzack said...

But a bouquet to greet me at the airport. Thanks! Allen & Lora just brought me home, and Lora gave me the flowers.